47 facts for 47 years of UAE! Which is your favorite fact about the UAE?

To honor the 47th UAE National Day, I encourage you to share your favorite facts about the UAE, in the spirit that binds us all together under one country, with multiple voices.

Here are 47 facts for 47 years of UAE:

  1. The UAE’s National Day is celebrated on December 2nd of each year and marks the unification of the emirates into a federation.
  2. The UAE is a federation made up of 7 emirates: Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Sharjah, Ra’s al-Khaimah, Ajman, Umm al-Quwain and Fujairah.
  3. The UAE was founded under the visionary leadership of the late Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan, known as the father of the nation.
  4. The UAE has a literacy rate of 93%.
  5. The falcon is the UAE’s national symbol.
  6. Women in the UAE account for about 70 per cent of all university graduates in the country and fill around two thirds of government jobs.
  7. Masdar City, Abu Dhabi is the world’s first zero-carbon, zero-waste, car-free city.
  8. The UAE resident population consists of 200 nationalities and while Arabic is the official language, other commonly spoken languages include English, Farsi, Hindi, Urdu.
  9. To become a major center for world-class healthcare, the UAE has partnered with leading global institutions, including: the Cleveland Clinic, John’s Hopkins Medical School and Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation.
  10. Every state in the United States exports to the UAE, as well as the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands.
  11. Women in the UAE form two-thirds of government sector workers and make up 20% of the diplomatic corps.
  12. The Yas Marina Circuit on Yas Island in Abu Dhabi hosts the Formula One Grand Prix.
  13. Dubai holds the first indoor ski resort in the Middle East.
  14. Dubai also boasts the only 7* hotel in the world, Burj Al Arab.
  15. …And the tallest building in the world, Burj Khalifa.
  16. Dubai holds the Guinness World Record for the longest driverless metro system.
  17. The total land area of UAE is 32,278 square miles (83,600 square km).
  18. The Emirates Palace Hotel in Abu Dhabi has an ATM installed which dispenses gold bars.
  19. The UAE is home to over 40 churches and cathedrals as well as additional places of worship for other faiths.
  20. United Arab Emirates dirham is the official currency.
  21. The average life span in the UAE is 77 years.
  22. The country grows dates, vegetables and watermelons; they also rear poultry and cattle, catch fish and produce dairy products.
  23. UAE has the 7th largest oil reserves in the world.
  24. The international dialing code is 00971.
  25. Abu Dhabi is the capital and the second most populous city of the United Arab Emirates, after Dubai.
  26. Jabal Jais is a mountain on the border between Oman and United Arab Emirates, with an elevation of 1,911 meters (6,268 feet).
  27. The United Arab Emirates has 1,318 kilometers (819 miles) of coastline.
  28. Palm Islands are three artificial islands, Palm Jumeirah, Deira Island and Palm Jebel Ali, on the coast of Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
  29. In 2015, Dubai Mall was the most visited building on the planet, attracting over 80 million visitors.
  30. Ferrari World Abu Dhabi is an amusement park located on Yas Island in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.
  31. Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque is located in Abu Dhabi and is considered the main key site of worship in the country.
  32. The United Arab Emirates has 1 UNESCO world heritage site – the Cultural Sites of Al Ain.
  33. The economy of the United Arab Emirates is the second largest in the Arab world (after Saudi Arabia).
  34. Only about 13% of the people currently living in UAE are its citizens (Emiratis). The rest 87% are foreigners.
  35. The Dubai police fleet includes a Lamborghinis, Ferraris and Bentleys.
  36. Dubai’s international airport (DXB) is one of the busiest airports in the world.
  37. More than 3,000 taxis operate in Dubai.
  38. Residents don’t pay income tax.
  39. Dubai has no address system.
  40. Expo 2020 will be held in Dubai.
  41. Before oil, UAE was living on pearl diving.
  42. In UAE, heat can get as high as 60 degrees Celsius.
  43. The UAE became independent on 2 December 1971.
  44. Abu Dhabi’s original name was Milh “salt”, possibly referring to the salty water of the Arabian Gulf.
  45. UAE has never been a British colony.
  46. Ajman is the smallest emirate of the UAE, with only 259 square kilometers.
  47. The Arabian oryx is the national animal of the United Arab Emirates.

 

 

Related Posts

Leave A Reply